21 Long Flight Must-Haves
I have broken this list down below to be manageable. All of these items may not be “must-haves” for you, but have just 1 international fight, they were for me. Some of the list I adhere to whether it’s a long flight or not. Just flying now days makes many of the things on the list necessary to me. (Some of the exact items I own are shown for purchase, just click on item to buy now. I may make a little, but it will not affect the price you pay.)
Long Flight Must Have’s & to Do’s
- Wear dark, comfy clothes – maybe with a print (a spare shirt is always good).
- If you can have a personal bag: aka backpack and 1 carry on I always pack one full set of clothes, swimsuit if practical for the trip. (You never know if it will be your luggage…it goes West & you went East…)
- I pack ALL of my shoes & belts in carry-on because of weight limits. We weigh it all before we leave. If you have bathroom scales weigh yourself, then pick up your bag and weight. Subtract the difference for the weight of each piece. If you are in doubt of the size/weight of luggage check the specific airline you will be flying with. It does vary. Be prepared to pay if it’s over, because they don’t play, especially if you are going overseas.
- Wisp (disposable toothbrushes) / toothbrush & paste, and chewing gum.
- Eye mask
- Ear Plugs
Out of the 21 long flight items these are good to have
- Wipes/Face wipes – travel size pk. & tissues (you will want these on you ALL the time in case of no toilet paper in restrooms).
- Travel deodorant
- Noise Canceling Headphones &
- Earbuds (both, yes) – wireless were great!
- Appropriate charging cords (possible extension cord) & (need to have a converter for hotels).
- Portable charger
- A pair of socks if your wearing sandals
- Travel pillow
Out of the 21 long flight items, these are nice to have
- Oversize Beach towel (this is great to have for a blanket, beach/pool use later, spills, cover your lap when you eat to protect your clothes)
- Have plenty downloaded to an electronic device of choice (music/movies/series)
- If using phone or tablet make sure you have a way for it to stand up. Personally, I have a case on the table that will fold to prop it. I carry a small flexible tripod which holds my phone and is great for on the go travel shots. (a Ziplock that will hold & shut in the headrest in front of you will work too, regular size Ziplock for phones, gallon for ipads!)
- I have found a backpack instead of a purse works better till I get where I’m going.
- I LOVE to carry a really hearty trail mix, that way if the flight was delayed or a long one I can always have a snack that doesn’t usually get destroyed when packed.
- It is helpful to carry any empty water bottle, travel collapsible bottle, or I carry a Tervis Tumbler with a lid. It works for coffee or cold while I’m on my trip. (Lay face towelette/wipes in a paper towel, wisps, etc. Roll it and store in the cup.
- I carry ball cap, a bandanna (a must for so many uses), and/or hat for bad hair situations.
Hope some of my tips help you on your journey!
If you will be traveling internationally I suggest that you look at this list of 36 International Travel Tips to be well prepared.